Tuesday 19 March 2019

MMCC Club

While still visiting my family in Preston, I took the chance last night to visit my second ever rc car club, Morecambe RC.  www.morecamberc.org.

This was quite the opposite situation from RVRCCC down the road.  This club makes uses of some fairly old but highly grippy primafelt carpet.  

I chose to use some slightly larger than my normal T35 tyres at just over 44mm rear and 42mm front.

This highlighted how crazily high this clubs grip is.  (more so than the nationals)  Myself, Aidan and Arran all ran these tyres and had traction roll in the first race of the night.  This is likely to be down to the fact that this club usually runs on only control tyres, something that builds up the grip in the carpet for weeks to come.

I didnt take a photo so instead here's a picture from over 14 years ago of the club when I used to go every week :)

Q1 - I rolled over a few times, the rear inside wheels lifting too much, the rear of the car was rolling too much, and the front end was gripping too much. 

Setup Info
I went from using 22mm of additive on the front tyres down to only 10mm additive (on the inside edge of the tyre)  I reduced the time the additive was on the tyre from 15minutes down to 3minutes.
The idea of this was to reduce the aggression of the front, to reduce lifting/roll from the rear.
Q2 - This gave another problem.  I ended up with not enough front grip causing understeer.  And the reduced additive time didn't work properly either, as i lost steering as the front went on, so i would put it on for longer again for round 2.  Aidan took TQ in this round with a really fast pace, loads of steering but a grip roll issue on his car still.
Setup Info
I decided that the easiest way to fix this problem was to glue the sidewalls of my still quite big tyres at around 44mm rear and 42mm front. I used super glue (CR522) and cotton buds to apply to only the vertical sides of the tyres.  This makes the edges go hard and feel like a lower profile tyre, and most importantly prevents grip roll.  I did this too both the front and rears to try and maintain a good setup balance.
Q3 - Sadly my balance went wrong a little and I ended up with a lack of steering.  I think gluing the fronts has more effect than doing the rears..  I had a really consistent run with this though and could narrowly take TQ ahead of aidans Q2 time.  He was still struggling with grip roll.


Setup Info
I decided the car was working well with this setup, i now only needed alot more steering.  For this and given the amount of grip in the track, i decided to go from the softest black rear roll (side springs) to the hardest I run on the sides, Nickel.
Final - This change gave me a much better balance, far more steering, and thanks to the longer front additive time, the front grip stayed for the whole race.  My car felt really good like this, but can only be done if the track has enough grip that the rear doesnt slide mid corner, or have on power traction issues.

1 comment:

  1. I am really happy with your blog because your article is very unique and powerful for new reader.
    Nice Post thanks for sharing. Thanks
    Click here

    ReplyDelete